IAF (Indian Air Force) Garud commando Corporal Jyoti Prakash Nirala, who laid down his life after gunning down two terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir was awarded India’s highest peacetime military decoration Ashok Chakra by President Ram Nath Kovind
Nirala’s wife Sushmanand and his mother Malti Devi present at the occasion of republic day at Rajpath to receive the award for the late commando.
Corporal Nirala was part of a Garud Special Forces Unit of the Indian Air Force, which was attached as a detachment to a Rashtriya Rifles battalion under the backing of ‘Op Rakshak’ in Jammu and Kashmir.
On November 18 last year, an offensive attack was launched in Chanderger village of Bandipora district based on specific intelligence. The Garud detachment secretly approached the target house where the terrorists were hiding and laid a close quarter attack and in the violent ambush, Corporal Nirala was hit by an attack laid down by small arms fire. Despite being critically injured, he continued the retaliatory fire and succumbed to fatal gunshot wounds which resulted in the killing of six terrorists.
Equivalent to US Army’s peacetime Medal of Honor and the British George Cross the Ashoka Chakra (also termed as Ashok Chakra) is India’s highest peacetime military decoration awarded for valour, courageous action or self-sacrifice away from the battlefield.
Being Peace time equivalent of the Param Vir Chakra, it is awarded for the “most conspicuous bravery or some daring or pre-eminent valour or self-sacrifice” in the face of the enemy. The decoration is awarded either to military or civilian personnel.
Punjab chief minister Captain Amarinder on Friday launched the release of benefits under ‘Mahatma Gandhi Sarbat Vikas Yojana‘ aimed at the inclusive growth of the distressed sections of the society.
As Captain Amarinder singh said that his government is committed to the total implementation of its farm debt waiver scheme by November 2018 and he has appealed to the state’s debt-ridden farmers to have faith and not commit suicide.
Assuring the troubled farmers of the state to benefit from the debt waiver scheme by November this year covering 10.25 lakh farmers of the state.
About Mahatma Gandhi Sarbat Vikas Yojana (MGSVY).
- ‘Mahatma Gandhi Sarbat Vikas Yojana’ aims to “Wipe every tear from every eye” as envisioned by Mahatma Gandhiji.
- The programme aims to provide the help to distressed sections of society, socially or economically or psychologically.
- Benefiting Around 2 lakh people from 20 different schemes of the Government.
Other Schemes. announced by punjab government includes
- It is for the first time that the state government was investing such a huge amount Rs 2000 crore project to repair 16000 kms rural link roads.
- Punjab Government has also decided to waive off loans up to Rs 50000 of Punjab Backward Classes Land Development and Finance Corporation (Backfinco) given to the beneficiaries under the scheme.
- The e-POS scheme is also set to replace the earlier blue card system for distribution of Atta-Dal. The new system was aimed at bringing transparency and accountability in the Public Distribution System (PDS), ensuring that the real beneficiaries get the benefit of the Atta-Dal scheme.
- On the industrial development front, Policies like power at Rs 5 per unit aims at being investor-friendly. Since Industrial development is important for generating the employment needed for Punjab’s youth.
- Announcing Rs 1 lakh per school/college which participated in the cultural function from CM’s fund the CM of Punjab lauded the visually and hearing & speech impaired students who participated in the parade and also presented an excellent taekwondo show.