Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has entered into Technology Transfer Agreement (TTA) with Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) to transfer technology for manufacturing space grade Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) cells.
- The technology transfer will enable BHEL to produce space grade Li-Ion cells which can be used to meet the country’s space programme requirements.
- It can also be adopted to cater Li-Ion cell requirement for other national needs.
ISRO uses Li-Ion batteries as power sources for satellite and launch vehicle applications due to their high energy density, reliability and long cycle life.
The Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) of ISRO at Thiruvananthapuram has successfully developed the technology to create space grade Li-ion cell and demonstrated the performance of the cell under various testing conditions.
These space grade cells are currently being used for various satellite and release vehicle applications.
Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) owned and founded by the Union Government, is an engineering and production company based in New Delhi, India.
Established in 1964, BHEL is India’s largest power generation equipment manufacturer.
The company was granted the prestigious Maharatna status in 2013 for its outstanding track record and vast scale of operations it performs.
Important Key Points to Remember
- The lithium-ion battery is light weighted and is one-third the weight of lead acid batteries. It is nearly 100% efficient in both charging and discharging as compared to lead battery which has 70% efficiency.
- It completely discharges i.e. 100% when compared with 80% for lead acid.
- The rechargeable lithium-ion battery has life cycle of 5000 times or more compared to just 400-500 cycles in lead acid.
- It also maintains constant voltage throughout the entire discharge routine whereas voltage in lead acid battery drops consistently throughout its discharge cycle.
- It is much cleaner technology and it is safer for environment as it does not have environmental impact as lead acidity battery.