General Awareness, English, Logical reasoning and Quantitative aptitude forms the basics and are one of the most critical parts of any government exams, be it UPSC, SSC, Banking, or any competitive exams, but many students lack the most crucial part of any exam, i.e., Current Affairs.
So what we aim here is to bring for our readers The Current Affairs May 17th, 2018 in the easiest and best arranged to Exams pattern.
REPLACE campaign launched Under WHO to eliminate trans-fat in foods by 2023.
World Health Organization (WHO) has launched comprehensive plan “REPLACE” to remove industrially-produced artificial trans-fats from international food distribution by 2023.
- The elimination of trans-fats is key to protecting the health and saving lives.
- REPLACE is abbreviated in six strategic actions as Review, Promote, Legislate, Assess, Create awareness and Enforce.
- The campaign provides a step-by-step guide in six tactical actions of ‘REPLACE’ package to guarantee the immediate, complete, and sustained elimination of industrially-produced trans-fats from global food distribution.
- Implementing six strategic activities will help achieve elimination of trans-fat and reflect significant success in the worldwide struggle against cardiovascular disorders.
Atal Pension Yojana subscriber crosses 1 crore mark: PFRDA
Under Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA), the subscriber base of Atal Pension Yojana (APY) has spanned one crore contributors mark since its launch in May 2015.
- Till date, the strategy has accumulated Rs. 3,950 crore of contribution from readers. It has generated around 9.10% compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) since beginning till March 2018.
- APY launched back in June 2015 with the aim to provide affordable universal access to essential social safety coverage to the unorganized workforce of the nation, which comprises more than 85 percent of the workforce.
- It had replaced earlier government-backed pension Swavalamban scheme targeted at the unorganized sector.
Bharat Inclusion Initiative: IIM Ahmedabad uncovers $25 million initiative to finance start-ups
Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad’s (IIMA’s) center for innovation, incubation, and Entrepreneurship (CIIE) has established $25 million ‘Bharat Inclusion Initiative’ to finance start-ups.
- CIIE was set at IIMA to help entrepreneurs and turn business ideas into viable businesses models.
- It partners with industry specialists, mentors, corporates, IIMA investors and community to help incubate early-stage start-ups.
- CIIE’s ‘Bharat Inclusion Seed Fund’ intends to provide a continuum of solutions to addition concentrated tech entrepreneurs across the pre-incubation, seed, and scale-up stage and help them leap to the next orbit.
- It’ll mentor and spend in start-ups from the early stage and seed section over the next three-four years.
- The fund will appear at start-ups in areas such as financial addition, livelihood, education, agriculture, and health. It has set aside $22.5 million to spend in pre-Series A tech start-ups.
- The initiative has received the first pledge of $12.5 million from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Michael and Susan Dell Foundation and Omidyar Network.
India rises as the third largest solar market in the world in 2017
India has established new album with 9.6 GW of solar installations in 2017, which was more than twice the 4.3 GW installed in 2016. In 2017, India’s solar economy had grown at Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of about 170% since 2010.
- The steady growth boosted India’s total solar installed capability to 19.6 GW in December 2017.
- As of 2017-end, large-scale solar project development accounted for 92 percent of those all-time accumulative solar installations in India with 19.6 GW and 2017 alone composed 90 percent of these installments with 8.6 GW.
- Of the total 1.6 GW cumulative solar rooftop installations in India by 2017, 995 MW was up last year.
- According to the recently released report by Mercom Communications, India emerged as the third largest solar market in the world in 2017 supporting China and United States.
- Mercom Communications India is an arm of global clean energy consulting company Mercom Capital Group.