The ‘Pelican Bird Festival-2018’ was held for first in Atapaka Bird Sanctuary on at Kolleru lake in Andhra Pradesh. It was jointly organised by Andhra Pradesh Tourism Authority (APTA) and Krishna district administration.
Key Points:Pelican Bird Festival
- Atapaka Bird Sanctuary was recognized as one of the largest pelicanry in the world.During winter season, thousands of pelicans, painted storks and other birds migrate to Kolleru lake. During their stay they roost, breed and later fly away with their off springs.
- The festival began with a rally of colourfully dressed-up folk artists and local fishermen with pomp and gaiety and the ‘dappu’ and metallic beats and was celebrated on a large scale.The rally was led by the Tourism Minister Bhuma Akhila Priya and District Collector B. Lakshmikantham.
- Kolleru Lake is one of the largest freshwater lakes in India located in Andhra Pradesh. It is located between Krishna and Godavari deltas.
- Kolleru lake is an important habitat for resident and migratory birds, including the grey or spot-billed pelican (Pelecanus philippensis). The lake was declared as wildlife sanctuary in November 1999 under Wildlife Protection Act of 1972, and also designated wetland of international importance in November 2002 under Ramsar Convention.
- Pelicans are a genus of large water birds that makes up the family Pelecanidae. Pelicans are gregarious birds, travelling in flocks, hunting cooperatively and breeding colonially.They have been persecuted because of their perceived competition with commercial and recreational fishing.
Sweden and the United Nations World Food Programme on Friday signed a Strategic Partnership Agreement committing an unprecedented 370 million dollars to WFP over the next four years i.e. 2018-2021. It is the biggest ever contribution made by donor within a World Food Programme Strategic Partnership Agreement.
Key Points: World Food Programme
- The Swedish contribution comes at time of record need as the world is facing worst humanitarian crisis since the end of World War II with multiple large-scale hunger emergencies.
- The Swedish government has been the largest donor of flexible funds to World Food Programme.
- WFP executive director David Beasley added in his statement that “Sweden’s extremely generous contribution provides WFP with one of the largest amounts of flexible and predictable funding any country has ever given us, enabling us to save lives at any given place and at any given time”.
- World Food Programme (WFP) is the food-assistance branch of the United Nations.It was established in 1961 after the 1960 Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) Conference and is headquartered in Rome (Italy) .
- It provides food assistance to an average of 80 million people in 75 countries each year and is considered to be the world’s largest humanitarian organization addressing hunger and promoting food security.